There are moments in a TV show or a movie where your heart is swelling, swooning, and maybe even breaking all at the same time. It’s that perfect, crystalline moment — the culmination of all looks, touches, and hints where one character finally puts it all on the line for the man or woman they love. Only a hard, cold soul can’t be touched by these moment. The rest of us are cheering, bouncing in our seats, and wiping tears away It’s the height of romance and love and tenderness. Today I want to celebrate the art behind crafting those perfect moments with my top 5 most romantic lines from movies or TV.
As they are only 5, I know that there are many, many lines I’ve leaving out, but here are some of my favorites.
5. As you wish. — The Princess Bride. Wesley looks at Buttercup and murmurs those sweet words to her dozens of times. It took so long for her to realize the real meaning of those three words, but they so perfectly captured the feelings filling his heart.
4. The odd thing about this form of communication is that you’re more likely to talk about nothing than something. But I just want to say that all this nothing has meant more to me than so many somethings. — You’ve Got Mail. I love this one because it captures the importance of the little things that we so easily overlook and take for granted. We focus on the big moments to define our lives and our great loves, but so often, the deepest, truest love is developed slowly over time.
3. You make me want to be a better man. — As Good As It Gets. It’s an unexpectedly sweet line that get to the core of how much we value another person. We want to be worthy of them and reach the same heights we see in that person.
2. Stay alive. No matter how long it takes, no matter how far, I will find you. — The Last of the Mohicans. The world is going to hell around you and you are scared. Is there nothing more heart-warming to know that there is one person who will fight no matter the odds to find you, to save you, to protect you?
1. I’m burning up a sun just to say goodbye to you. — Doctor Who. I cried and cried and cried at this episode. This sweet love affair was slowly built and it was only at the end when you realized how intense and close it had become. How utterly hopeless. And at the end of things, what would you do to have one last moment with the person you loved more than anything in this world? Sacrifice you time, reputation, career, life, … a star?
Do you agree with my list? What lines from movies or TV shows would you include?
If you hadn’t guessed, I’m feeling romantic today. To celebrate, I’ve got a special deal running on my historical romance novella, Stolen Kisses at Midnight. The story is the first in the Hidden London series. It’s listed under my alter-ego Joy Douglass. The book is free for Kindle until September 12. Pick it up now!
Here is the description for Stolen Kisses at Midnight:
1824 –London, England
Drake was dark temptation.
After the death of her fiancé, Cathryn Bradford was sure she would never love again, but Lord Drake Ashburn was luring her back into world of the living with the excitement of midnight meetings and secret parties. The devilish rake proved that she could love again, but could she trust him with her fragile heart?
Cathryn was his heart.
Drake had nearly lost Cathryn once to another man. He wasn’t going to let her waste her life pining for a man who didn’t deserve her. But would a few stolen kisses and the thrill of exploring London’s darker side finally free his beloved Cathryn from the ghost of a life that could have been?
Take a chance. Fall in love with Drake and Cathryn.